Domain

JPG - 154.4 kb

The Castle Site

JPG - 40.4 kb

The site of LACHASSAGNE Castle is exceptional! 25 km north of Lyon, in the heart of Beaujolais Golden Stones, the property overlooks the plain of the Saone River and enjoys a panoramic view. It has the distinction of having 62 ha completely fenced; including a wood of 25 ha, 21 ha of vineyards, meadows, a beautiful tree-lined central avenue and numerous retaining walls in dry stones. Inside the woods, it is possible to climb up a tower and discover a superb 360 ° view of the entire South Beaujolais. The Castle also has a beautiful winery to visit with an impressive wine press from 1843 and also vaulted cellars. It’s also a place full of History. The Castle was bought in 1662 by Pierre D’ASSIER, Squire Councillor and King’s secretary, and was passed on to his descendants until 1976. The influence of LACHASSAGNE which was a barony passed largely over the Castle and its ending. It determined the morphology of the village, consisting of tight and aligned houses at the edge of the road. All these historical elements: the cellars of the Middle-Age, The Castle rebuilt in 1830, and the tower in 1840, by Gabrielle Good Laurencin, Duchess of Mortemart, the arms of Laurencin / Virieu on the front of the Castle ... remind us of the rich past LACHASSAGNE has experienced.


The history of the wines of the Castle

JPG - 44.6 kb

The reputation of the wines of the Castle is very old and many documents, especially from the late nineteenth, early twentieth, attest to this reputation. The Castle is at this times systematically associated with other Beaujolais crus and one associates mention “cru”’ or “grand cru”’. Among the most significant documents, a map of the vineyards of the Chalonnais, Mâconnais and Beaujolais from A.BUDKER in 1874, ranking the wine vocation of each of the municipalities and their localities, put LACHASSAGNE, only common southern Beaujolais, among the finest vineyards alongside the major wines of Beaujolais and Burgundy.
Another example is the book ’’Wines of the Rhone ’’ in 1914, from J.DEVILLE, director of agricultural services department, which ranks the wines of Beaujolais and Lyonnais and quoting Castle of LACHASSAGNE in the category of grands crus alongside great wines of future Côte-Rôtie appellation, Morgon, Brouilly, Fleurie, Julienas and Chénas. The description of the wines of the Castle is far removed from the current image of the wines of Beaujolais: “... they are very rich in color, alcohol and dry extract. Coming out of the tank, they are hard, spirit, fruity and hot, but after a few years of barrels and bottles, they are refined, become soft, bouquet and fragrance remind the best Burgundy wines ... .the cellars Castle are wonderful and the wines are particularly well treated, allowing them to retain their qualities is extremely long from 25 to 30 years and often more.”’ References are numerous. One also cite the quality of white wines of the Castle, and the numerous medals and diplomas received in the early twentieth.
Unfortunately, the creation of AOC (i.e. registered designation of origin) in 1936, the request was not made for a ranking as a cru of LACHASSAGNE. The name claimed in the village is the AOC Beaujolais like all municipalities of southern Beaujolais.


Olivier and Veronique BOSSE PLATIERE

JPG - 20.5 kb

Olivier BOSSE-PLATIERE is from the village of Lucenay, where his parents have a vineyard. After studies in oenology in Burgundy, he discovered a lot of great vineyards all around the world through additional training to the OIV (International Organisation of Vine and Wine). He then worked in La Reunion, before managing a beautiful wine estate near Nimes. He kept in mind the idea to move back one day in the Beaujolais but the crisis in the vineyard did not facilitate any installation. Finally the opportunity has occurred, and, with his wife Veronique, he took the vineyard of LACHASSAGNE.